Join the Team – We’re recruiting a Volunteer Treasurer
SouthWestFest is currently looking for a new volunteer to join the Trustee team in the role of Treasurer.
Treasurer Role – Voluntary Trustee
South Westminster Community Festival – charity number 1124849, are looking for a skilled volunteer with a finance background to assist the ongoing development and secure financial management of the festival in the position of Treasure for SouthWestFest, a community and arts festival for South Westminster.
This work should take no more time then a maximum of couple of hours per week and correspondence will be mainly via email and using shared files online. You will also be expected to attend monthly Trustee meetings in Pimlico once a month in the evening and of course be invited to join us at our festival and programme of community-led events as and when you are available.
- Work with the director and Chair to oversee the financial affairs of the organisation and ensure they are legal, constitutional and within accepted accounting practice.
- Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures are in place.
- Monitor and report on the financial health of the organisation.
- Alongside the Festival Director and external independent examiner, oversee the production of necessary financial reports/returns, accounts and audits
- Liaise with relevant staff, committee members and/or volunteers to ensure the financial viability of the organisation.
- Make fellow committee members aware of their financial obligations and take a lead in interpreting financial data to them.
- Regularly report the financial position at committee meetings (balance sheet, cash flow, fundraising performance etc).
- Oversee the production of an annual budget and propose its adoption at the last meeting of the previous financial year.
- Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures and controls are in place, ie:
- Cheque signatories
- Invoicing and payments
- Others as appropriate
- Recording VAT and submitting VAT returns
- Appraising the financial viability of plans, proposals
- Lead on appointing and liaising with auditors/an independent examiner
- Undertake bookkeeping duties and/or oversee the finance volunteer ensuring posting and bookkeeping is kept up-to-date (n.b this task will be supported by the Director
- Arrange payments to creditors as appropriate and arrange appropriate signatures on payments
- Make the necessary arrangements to collect payments from debtors and bank payments promptly
- Knowledge and experience of current finance practice
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and financial management
- Good financial analysis skills
- Ability to communicate clearly
- Good computer skills
About the festival
SouthWestFest has worked within the SW1 community for over 13 years to showcase local community organisations, we build harmonious relationships in the community and engage around 10,000 local residents a year in our festival activities enabling celebration of SW1 area and increased community connectivity.
Our aims: 1) Producing opportunities & encouraging community spirit, 2) supporting neighbourhood renewal by tackling social exclusion and promoting local services, 3) generating partnerships and collaborations between community groups.
If you are interested in becoming our Treasurer, please email our Director Jo at email@example.com with your CV and background information about yourself, your current and past work experience and what interests you about volunteering as a Treasurer. The deadline for applications is Friday the 17th of November 2017 at 5pm.
23rd October 2017